Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Stuff spotted at Ward's, new things on order form


Naomi S spotted this at Ward's today. It's the same stuff that's on special this month through Albert's. We're getting it for 3.85 ea., but it's practically the same price at Ward's, so if it's more convenient, grab a few at Ward's! (actually, she says the expiration date on them is today, so I suppose they were marked down for that.)

Also, Naomi W called to tell me that Ward's also has Wainwright Dairy RAW cultured cheese for 6.99 a pound. Wainwright dairy is in Live Oak. They have Baby Swiss, Cheddar, Colby, Pepper Jack, and Fresh Cheddar Curds.

Even the 5lb bulk cheddar we have on the order form comes to $7.85 per pound. We're better off buying this stuff at Ward's rather than through Albert's. (I'm going to contact the dairy and see if I can get a price on a bulk order, but I bet it wouldn't be worth the bother. It was going to be $7/lb for me to drive out to another farm and portion it out myself, so I think this is a pretty good price for local and raw all that razzmatazz.)

Here are some new things you'll see on the order form this week:

1. Natural by Nature milk. I had totally decided against ordering milk since it wasn't such a great price through Albert's. But the more stuff I get from Albert's the less stuff I have to go to the store for. If I get back to baking bread I may never have to leave the house. At least, not to put myself through the torture that is grocery shopping with children.

Getting milk delivered here might just be more convenient. So I added Natural by Nature whole milk in gallon jugs. It's organic and grassfed (which makes it comparable to, I suppose, Kurtz's pasteurized or Wainwright Farms at Ward's). We can't get raw milk through Albert's, but this is "low temp" pasteurized rather than ultra-pasteurized (why are so many organic milks ultra-pasteurized??). You can read more HERE. It's not really a super deal, compared to Wainwright Dairy's milk, but it is compared to Natural by Nature as sold by Mother Earth. $4 per quart = $16 per gallon! But really, it's all about the not-having-to go-to-the-store thing. The PIA is that it's a PREorder. Meaning when you order it, it's NOT going to come in THAT WEEK. It's going to come in the NEXT week. Erg. But let's give it a go. (so if you put it on an order this week, you're going to get it on the 20th.)

2. Sprouted sunflower seeds. These aren't fresh green sunflower sprouts, they're sprouted and dried seeds. Amazon sells these for $4 each. Even in the one-pound bags from Amazon they come up to the same per ounce price we'd be paying. They'd be just under $3 each for us (5 oz bag). I dunno, it's a bit of an extravagance, but I thought I'd throw it up there in case anyone was feeling adventurous.

3. Seven Stars yogurt. Because Stonyfield is a preorder item (that is, we have to order it one week and wait a full week for it to actually arrive). Seven Stars is not. We can order on Friday and it'll be here Monday. That seems worth the extra shiny quarter we have to pay. Plus, it's "biodynamic", whatever that means! It's NOT homogonized before being yogurt-ized, and it is grassfed when seasonally available (I guess it's hard to grassfeed cows in the snow). I have plain whole yogurt on the form right now, but they also offer maple and vanilla in both full- and low-fat versions. Our price is not much less than the price we'd pay at Ward's, but like the milk, I'm thinking the convenience of having it picked up here might be nice.

4. Applegate farms conventional deli turkey. Like the ham from last week, this will be a big deli thing that will have to be sliced here. Order by the pound.

As always, the order form should be ready by noon tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment