Sunday, September 4, 2011
Thanksgiving Turkeys and Hams
We have to put our orders for Thanksgiving turkeys and hams in by the end of this month.
Last year they came with instructions, and I think there were some pages about cooking the truly free-ranged ones a little differently. I didn't get one, but I remember those who did said they were very good. Also, I remember they were not frozen before they got to us. They were refrigerated and then coated with a layer of ice so that they remained chilled without ever having been frozen (though they felt frozen because of the layer of ice). Even though we have to have our order in early, they don't arrive until the Monday delivery before Thanksgiving.
TURKEYS LOCAL
Laughing Chicken farm: $4/lb, first come, first served. email them at info@laughingchickenfarm.com to ask where you can pick one up. (I know they're at 441 market and at Haile market, they also have pickups at their farm in Trenton.) You'd probably have to get one early and keep it in your freezer. I had one of theirs already, and I thought it was very, very good.
Yahoo meat share group: there's a member offering her pastured turkeys for $4lb. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cowpoolgville/ But I think they may all be taken already. Anyone know of any other local sources?
TURKEYS FROM BUYING CLUB (in order of most organic/free range to just "natural")
EBERLY Organic and what they call "truly" free range, from Amish farms, raised outdoors, organically, no chlorine or fluoride in the water, even, and hand processed. 4.85/lb
GRATEFUL HARVEST ORGANIC Organic. Barn raised without cages and given access to the outdoors. 4.10 per pound
GRATEFUL HARVEST NATURAL Not organic, barn raised without cages and given access to the outdoors. No antibiotics. 2.80 per pound
SIZES of all turkeys: Small is 12-16 pounds, medium is 16-20 pounds, large is 20-25 pounds
So you have 3 choices of TYPE of turkey, and 3 choices of SIZE. Let me know both the type and size you want.
HAMS
Garrett county hams are spiral cut, has a sweet crusty coating, wrapped in gold foil and netting. Pretty (we got these last year).
Ingredients: pork, water, unrefined sugar, sea salt, dried honey, spices. Coated with raw sugar, honey, gelatin barley malk, molasses, guar gum, spice. Humanely raised, no antibiotics.
5.45 per pound, each ham is around 7.5 pounds, so expect a ham to be around $40.
We need to sell 4 of these to get a case.
I'll probably call for orders every week up until September 19th, when I'd like to get our order in. (They run out every year, so I don't want to wait til the last minute)
Email me with the type and size (ex: Eberly, medium) of turkey or if you want a ham (there's just one type and size).
EBERLY also has Capons, Ducks, and Geese, but we'd have to order 4-6 to get a case, and I'm just not sure that's going to happen. But email me if you're interested in these. I admit the capons both repulse and interest me.
Capon (You may have to Wiki that one), 8-10# each, 4.60/lb
Duck (muscovy drake) 6-8# each, 6.10/lb
Goose 6-8 # ea, 8.80/lb
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment