Friday, September 23, 2011

five hundred twenty-five thousand six hundred minutes

Various updates:
  • Almonds have been ordered.  They may come in today and be ready for Monday's pickup, may not.
  • Walnuts have been ordered.  I ordered them a day later, I bet they don't arrive until after Monday's pickup.
  • Dried cranberries ($2.35) have been ordered.  They are due to arrive Sept 28th, which is Wednesday, so if you ordered these they'll be part of October 10th's pickup (or you can get them earlier, of course.  You can come here or I can probably meet someone midway if there is coffee involved.)
Here are the orders for nuts and cranberries as I have them:
Talia 10 lbs almonds
Steph 10 lbs almonds, 2 cb,
Ruth 5 lbs almonds, 2 cb, 5 lbs walnuts
Beth 2 lbs - almonds, 2 lbs walnuts
Tonya 1 lbs almonds, 7 lb walnuts
Michele  1 cb
Noni 1 cb, 1 lb walnuts
Ingrid 1 cb,
Kathy 2 cb, 3 lbs walnuts
Laura-Lan 3 cb, 
Laura D 2 lb walnuts, 
Camille 5 lb walnuts


I would like to take payment this week for these things so I can go ahead and pay my bill without waiting two weeks for the next pickup date.  But I know some of the totals are pretty substantial for those of you who ordered the nuts, so it's okay if you need a little financial breathing room and would rather pay for them later when you actually get them.  I'll put them on your preorders, but please email me if you'd rather pay for them later.


PREORDERS
Michele 1 fage
Laura D 2 ground beef
Talia 3 tenderloins
Ruth 3 ground beef, 5 tenderloins
Ingrid 2 tenderloins, 1 cottage cheese
Karen 2 fage, 10 tenderloins, 2 ground beef
Kathy 2 ground beef, 4 tenderloins
Cynthia 1 ground beef
Naomi 1 ground beef, 2 tenderloins
Beth 2 fage, 10 tenderloins, 2 cottage cheese
Laura-Lan 1 fage, 1 cottage cheese
Brenda 3 ground beef
Cathy 4 tenderloins
Tonya 1 fage, 2 ground beef

Extras: 3 cottage cheese
email if you want any of the extras


GLASS MILK JARS: If you have glass jars from the Wainright milk, you can bring those any time.  Like, if you bring them Monday I'll give you $2 credit for each one off your order.  If you forget, I can get them from you Wednesday and give you credit on the following week.  Or you can save up 50 of them and get credit all at one time - there's no time requirement for getting credit on your bottles.

THIS IS A WAINWRIGHT DAIRY ORDER week.  My milk people, put in your milk and cheese orders today.  Usually the cheese orders would be open to the whole buying club, but since there's no pickup next week, there's no way to get the cheese to you, and I'm afraid to hold it for two weeks.  So only order cheese if I normally deliver your milk, or if you can come get the cheese, here or at a coffee shop somewhere in between, later this week.  

NO MORE $4 No Soy/No corn eggs.  Camille said it was an interesting experiment but isn't something she can continue.

NO BUYING CLUB NEXT WEEK.  So stock up on things that'll last two weeks.  Our next buying club pickup will be October 10th, and anything you preorder will come in then.  I've found another source of eggs to cover our dry spell, so order enough to get you through two weeks.

GO SEE RENT at the Gainesville Community Playhouse.  This is just a small town's local theater, I know, and some of you may have seen the real deal, but this whole cast is amazing.  Not a weak link in the whole show.  Go purchase your tickets now, because I think it'll sell out.  Not a show for kids if you didn't already know that.  Also, auditions for "A Christmas Story" are this weekend, and there are quite a few parts for girls and boys age 7-13 or so.  Having a kid in a show wears the whole family out, but man, what an experience.

TURKEYS AND HAMS.  I totally forgot to put the order in.  No big deal, as I had given myself an early deadline, and still have plenty of time.  But we aren't quite full on some cases, so I'll be contacting some of you later today to see if we can shift some orders around to make the cases work.

THIS WEEK'S PRODUCE

Man, it's a super long list this week. Partially because they had a LOT of good specials, and partly because I was looking for things that could last us for two weeks.

Flavor fall Pluots: Photo HERE.  This variety is described as large and high sugar.  And check out this recipe for Pluot ketchup.  I made pluot jam a while back, it didn't even call for pectin or anything.  Just pluots, sugar, and lemon juice.  Excellent.  (A pluot is a cross between a plum and an apricot)

Russet potatoes - these haven't been very popular with our group, but once again the price is really low compared to grocery store prices (around $6/bag) and on the dirty dozen list.

Sweet potatoes 1.25/lb

Cucumbers: these have been giants.  Last week it worked out that everyone got 3 large cukes (probably a bit over 2 lbs)

Spinach: It might be my imagination, but I think greens go bad more quickly in bags.  I always opt for the plastic containers.  Those are called "clamshells", so when you see that in the description, that's what it means.  In hard plastic rather than in bags.

Peeled garlic cloves: These are whole peeled cloves, not in oil or anything, just loose.  A pound is about, I don't know, 1 cup?  2 cups?  My kids asked me to make more pickled garlic!  So I must.  This much should be preserved.  Fill a jar with garlic, pour soy sauce over it.  Preserved.  Or pickle it - I have a recipe that tastes just like the ones at the Medieval Faire.  Or chop into butter and freeze.  Lots of things you can do with it.

Sugar snap peas.  Note that the amount is a HALF pound.  That's a handful, good for snacking.  You'll probably want a full pound if you're cooking them.

Spaghetti squash.  I have no way of knowing if there are 10 huge ones or 25 small ones (or a frustrating mix of large and small) in the box until they arrive.  But you'll be charged 1.45 per pound, whatever you get, which should be somewhere around 3.5 lbs.  (I saw 1.60/lb this week, so the price seems okay)  Last week that was two butternuts, so maybe these will be around the same.  These last on the countertop for months.

Apples - sigh.  I have no idea what's going on, but the ONLY (non-green) apples on the list are gala, and they are $6/bag, and that's what you can get them for at Publix or Ward's.  I put them on anyway since I know there's a convenience factor of just getting your stuff here, but don't think I don't realize it's not a "buying club" price!

Kiwi Berries:  Read about them HERE (this is the site of the company we're getting ours from).  They are fuzzless, about the size of a large grape, and are sold as "hardy kiwis" or "passion poppers".  Looking around the web for a description, I ran across a lot of people who really loved these things.  They have a short season, about a month.  There's even a site where you can order a case to be delivered directly to you (4.50 each, not including shipping or handling - our price is 3.70)



NONPRODUCE


Organic lemonade from Noble.  This is the same size container as the orange juice.  We tried to order this once before and I was told it was unavailable.  I thought we'd try again.

There's eberley chicken thighs in the preorder section.  These won't come in until Oct 10th.

There's stew meat, hamburger patties, and bacon in the regular meat section.  They are NOT preorders, but sometimes meat doesn't come in that same week, so there's a chance that one of these will get bumped to the 10th as well.

Beagle bay krauts/kimchi:

Natural Probiotic ~ Raw ~ Lacto-Fermented ~ Organic ~ Live ~ Ready to Eat

HERE is a link to the varieties available and their ingredients.  We've gotten the plain and garlic before.  I wish we could get a variety pack!  But this week I chose the kimchi, which is a little more expensive than the krauts.  (I'm actually fermenting my own kraut and kimchi right now!  Someone give me a certificate of achievement!!)  Beagle Bay is in Sarasota, by the way.



Wow.  Tons of stuff this week.  Have fun ordering.
ORDER NOW.

















No comments:

Post a Comment