Laura-Lan: 2 coleman hot dogs, 1 fage, 4 tenderloins, 1 bacon
Ingrid: 1 tenderloin, 1 thigh, 2 cottage cheese
Beth: 2 fage, 4 tenderloins, 4 thighs, 1 bacon, 2 cottage cheese
Kristin: 1 fage
Kathy L: 2 tenderloins, 2 hot dogs
Ruth: 2 tenderloins, 2 thighs
Gretchen: 1 hot dogs
Laura C: 1 hot dogs
Tonya: 2 fage, 2 tenderloins
Laura D: 2 tenderloins
Kathy G: 1 hot dogs
Joy: 1 tenderloins, 2 thighs, 2 cottage cheese
Brenda: 2 hot dogs, 3 thighs
Still available: 3 hot dogs (Coleman "natural", not organic) 4.25
2 packages of chicken tenderloins
(She said the Coleman hot dogs may take TWO weeks so I'm not sure if they're coming in this week or next.)

It IS a milk and cheese ordering week,
so those rows are all unlocked.
Order your milk and cheese this week.
APPLES: Same price as at the store, I realize.
Avocadoes: I know, we JUST got them last week. Personally I still have a ton. But they're on special this week and even cheaper. It's a case of 80 avocadoes, so I don't have high hopes, and each share is pretty large at 8 avos (depending on how ordering goes, we might be able to do half-shares). To freeze, according to "avocado central": Place the peeled avocados in a food processor or blender. Add a ratio of one tablespoon of an acidic agent like lemon or lime juice for each avocado you are freezing. Puree until smooth. This will ensure that the lemon or lime juice is evenly distributed to help to prevent the avocados from turning brown. Mashing the avocado rather than pureeing yields a less desirable result because the acidic agent is unevenly mixed in. Place the pureed avocado into an air-tight container. Leave ½ to 1 inch of headspace in the container to allow for expansion. Close your container tightly and label accordingly. Freeze. Frozen avocado puree must be used within four to five months of freezing. You can then use the puree for guacamole or dressings.
Broccolini: this is usually close to $5 each, and even the conventional stuff at Publix is close to $5. So we don't often get it. But it's on special this week, $3.25. Broccolini is "a cross between broccoli and kai lan, Chinese kale. The flavor is described as sweet, with notes of both broccoli and asparagus, less fibrous than either."
Cabbage: This one's always hard because I'm never sure if they'll have 13 heads in that 45 pound case, or 18 of them, and if one will be twice as large as another. So it'll be 75c/lb. The per-head price should be about 1.85, but I'll adjust according to weight.I'm still craving mushrooms. Is my body trying to tell me something? Specifically oyster mushrooms, but they aren't on the list, so I'm going to try the maitaki. I couldn't decide which link to include - the journal entry on studies on cancer prevention, the health benefits, the recipe for grilled maitaki... I'll leave you to research on your own, but here's a photo. I think we got these once before dried, but these are fresh.
FIVE HAPPINESS is back in stock! Maybe? We'll see. I'm putting an order in for at least one case TODAY so it doesn't get sold out before we can get some.
Here's info on Five Happiness Organic Girl salad blend.
Same with the Baby Kale salad mix. Now, this is a salad blend, with kales AND baby lettuces and such mixed in, not just kale. Here's the ingredients.
Croutons: I had these on before, and I don't think there was much interest, but they're on special this week, so I figured I might get a whole case even if no one else orders, because my kids really love having croutons in their salads. Organic, and cheaper than the regular ones at Publix.
Pears: These are packham pears. The organic packham pears are on special at fresh market this week for $1.99/lb. They come to about $1.45/lb for us. You'll be getting a little over 3#, which should be about 8 pears. "A Packham pear is similar in shape, size, and flavor to an Anjou but different in appearance. The Packham has a bumpy green skin that gets a bright yellow undertone when ripe. Like an Anjou, the Packham is very juicy and sweet and is best for eating out of hand."
Melons are coming! They're on the list, but they're still very expensive. I hear grapes should be in soon as well.
Turkey cutlets (preorder): We've gotten these, I think everyone's seen them. Plainville, not organic, but certified humane, all that jazz. It's a big turkey breast that's been pre-sliced so you can just pan-cook them - really convenient. Usually they're quite large packages, over two pounds. But last time we had some really small packages, under a pound each. You pay by the pound, and we don't know until they come in exactly how large the packages will be and therefore the price. But always $6.50 per pound.
Bacon (preorder): Some of you have the 2.5 lb packages of Applegate farms coming in this week. The bacon listed down in the preorders for next week is Garrett county, the smaller 12 oz package. It's dry-rubbed, cut thicker than applegate, and doesn't wrinkle up as much when cooked. Reviewers have mentioned the "less wrinkling up" aspect as well as the fact that there's less grease created (the package does say 40% less fat, and the slices seem more meaty than fatty). Here's one review. Note that she paid $7 for hers (we pay $5.55).
Eberly split chicken breasts (preorder): I'm trying to cook more of my meat WITH the bone (free broth, added minerals, more flavor). Split chicken breast means it has the breast, the tenderloin, the bones, and some rib meat. And usually the skin (I've emailed to see if this has skin still on). Many cooks say that the bone and skin make the meat more flavorful - I agree. Good for roasting and bbq. THIS POST has good photos, raw and cooked, so you can see what you're getting. Oh! And it's been a while since we've ordered Eberly, but it's organic, and free range in the real sense of the word. Not a barn with a little door. From their web site:
- A true free-range environment, where they get plenty of sunshine, fresh air, and room to exercise. Studies show that foraging; free-range poultry produces healthier, meatier birds with more muscle and less fat.
- Improved organically grown grains that are naturally high in protein and nutrients. Our feed grains are resistant to disease and grown with organic farming methods, like crop rotation, that prevent disease. Since we are organic, we do not use modified grain in our feed. The soils are enriched only with organic fertilizers and humus.
- Pure, mineral-rich water clean enough for our farm families to drink themselves. Chlorine and fluoride aren't needed.
- Time to mature. Eberly poultry is allowed to grow to full potential for the highest quality flavor and meat firmness. That's nature's timing!
I think that's it for this week. Go order HERE.

The apples have been really good.
ReplyDeleteCan you see if Albert's will get champagne grapes in (I believe they come in season around July)?
And, if no one else has said it to you today, "May the Fourth Be With You."
The purple sweet potatoes were so bland! I prepared them exactly like the website said and blech. They looked beautiful but didn't taste beautiful. But now I know.
ReplyDelete