Friday, August 26, 2011

Hurricane Irene edition

I'm starting off with some Amazon deals, because I've been shopping this morning:

Good price on gluten-free oats:

(Use subscribe and save and then cancel your subscription. $4.36 for a 32. oz bag.)

And this deal comes around regularly but Eden organic beans (bpa-free cans), garbanzo or black, are 15.71 for a case of 12.


It's been years since we've gotten this, so I can't remember what store prices are. But this makes the 4oz (large) bag less than $2 ea.


I had banned crackers from the house, but yesterday paid 3.50 for this same package of rice crackers at Publix. And my kids, who don't really eat cheese unless it's on tacos or pizza, ate the good raw grassfed cheese I'd gotten, because we had crackers (very plain crackers, but I guess they were sufficiently cracker-deprived to not care). And Ike scooped up salmon on his. So rice crackers are back, as vehicles for other foods. These, with the s&s plus discount code rolanbts, are 1.10 per package.
(there's other Roland brand foods, too, and they all have a discount code. Most if it's kind of weird stuff, but some is interesting. Like a bucket of sea salt that per pound comes up to a great price. It would last years.)

Finally, 30% off Peace granola and cereal when you use the discount code with subscribe and save. I know this cereal is well over $4 at publix. With the discounts, this is 2.50/box, and you only have to get 3 boxes.

Oh! One more. This caught my eye because a few of you have had these, and it was good. I have no idea how much they are at the store. But these had a discount code, so I thought I'd throw it out there for you. Buy through subscribe and save and use code kraftaug and it ends up being $4.44 per bag.



PREORDERS:
The preorder section will be locked, and I'll go back and fill it in after you've claimed a column. The butter is 5.50 a pound, so be prepared for how much that will affect your total - for most of you it'll be around $30-$55 added to your total.

Talia: 8lb butter, 1 cream
Camille: 10 lb butter
Kathy: 1 fage, 4 chicken tenderloins, 8 lb butter, applegate bacon 1 or 2 (you want both?) (oops, wrong K(C)athy
Noni: 1 cottage cheese
Naomi: 1 fage
Cathy: 1 4lb hummus, 1 chicken tenderloins, 10 lb butter
Laura-Lan: 2 cream, 2 lemon juice, 4 boxes wings, 6 chicken tenderloins
Helen: 2 cream, 1 lemon juice
Ruth: 1 fage, 5 chicken tenderloins, 10 lb butter, 1 turkey back
Beth: 1 fage, 10 chicken tenderloins, 1 cottage cheese, 1 cream, 1 lemon juice
Laura C: 2 cream
Tamara: 2 cottage cheese, 5 lb butter
Tonya: 1 fage, 2 chicken tenderloins
Marci: 1 cream
Jen: 2 chicken tenderloins, 1 cottage cheese, 5 lb butter, 2 cream, 1 turkey back
Brenda: 1 cottage cheese, 1 hummus, 1 cream, 2 lemon juice, 8 boxes wings
Michele: 1 fage


Wainright cheese:
I mentioned last week that I'm getting a delivery from Wainright Dairy ever other Wednesday. Their cheese is $6/lb (it's $7/lb at Ward's). I can't hold milk from Wednesday's delivery until Monday's pickup, but cheese shouldn't be a problem. So every other week you can preorder Wainright Dairy's cheese. I mentioned before that I didn't like it, but I tried it again and I'm guessing I got an old one or something the first time. Because now it's really good. The only variety they offer raw is white cheddar. Their pasteurized varieties are pepper jack, swiss, and an orange colby. It comes in what are supposed to be 1/2 pound packages, but they range from .5 to .9 pounds, so order by the package (rather than by the pound), and the final price will be filled in when the cheese arrives. We'll preorder this week for cheese that you can pick up the following Monday (September 5) For those of you who order milk with me, put your cheese order here, and I'll get your milk order as usual. Wainright, located in Live Oak, is not certified organic, but they pasture their cows, supplement with silage and their own non-GMO grains when necessary, use no hormones, and do not homogenize.

PRODUCE UPDATES
Albert's must have gotten someone new in the office. Now the price lists are accompanied by some commentary on what's going out and coming into season. Here's what they have to say: Mixed mini peppers and bosc pears arrive next week. Cherry season is over - no more this year after their current stock is gone. And they say that the "sugar level" on the red and green grapes is very good this year.

As usual after a week off, I've gone a little crazy and probably put too many things on the list.

Golden beets. Recipes abound, and you can do a bit more with them than the red variety since peeling and cutting them doesn't make your kitchen look like a crime scene. I've just discovered that I love beets. I pickled the last ones (sooooo easy- I halved the sugar and left out the cloves) and ate them all by myself.

Ginger. I still don't know how to incorporate fresh ginger into my cooking, but I want to, so I keep trying. Since the roots come in all sorts of sizes, I'll have to weigh the pieces and adjust each person's cost based on weight.

Same with the tomatoes - they're all such different sizes that I'll probably have to weigh them. I'm guessing each tomato share will have 2-3 large or 3-4 smaller tomatoes, and I'll adjust the price according to weight.

Russet potatoes. I noticed these are still $6 at publix.

Cripps pink ladies aren't as cheap as they once were and hopefully will be, but at least they're available! I miss apples.

Dark chocolate covered almonds. They charge the same per ounce for chocolate covered almonds or chocolate covered pretzels. Crazy. Anyway, I decided to put these on after seeing the price on Publix's bulk chocolate almonds. The company that makes them is "next organics".

We've ordered the stew beef before. For those of you who are new, it's 100% grassfed and organic. It's almost convenience food - open package, plop into crock pot with or without veggies, and it's really tender. Ruth told me she's been marinating and then kebabing hers, which I am going to try with this batch.

The turkey drumsticks are Plainville Farms. Not organic, but instead following better-than-factory practices. Click the link for details.

Okay, finally done. ORDER NOW! (And new folks, remember that I need to have all of your orders in by 11 a.m. Saturday.)































No comments:

Post a Comment