No buying club this week. And if any of you (I know there aren't many) are going to meet the teacher today, have fun! I bet the ice cream shops will be FULL right afterwards! Emotions are running high here this morning.
Just thought I'd share the note that came with today's price list:
"Here are a few items that are right around the corner or are just starting: Domestic apples - California has started and the NW is not far behind. Bartlett pears - they're a special this week, bosc next week. Brussels sprouts are here now, and supply will increase in the next few weeks. Import asparagus should begin mid-September."
So that's what's going on in the world of produce.
BEEF SHARE: The neighbor who hooked me up with the beef guy has a lawn service, and last week ended up in the hospital for a few days because of the heat. Geez Louise. So that's why I didn't hear any beef updates from him. I still don't have a date on when it's coming in, but it's still a go. And the guy said he'd do a cow just for us that's entirely grassfed, not grain finished, but he wanted to be sure we knew that the meat wouldn't be as tender or as tasty, and sounded a little concerned about producing meat that wasn't his very tastiest (that's all a matter of perspective and cooking styles, of course). The health benefits do drop in the grain-finished cows, levels of Vitamin E and omega-3's decline, so we know what we're after, and he's willing to give it to us with the understanding that it's not what HE considers his best. If you want to see some interesting graphs on nutrients and number of days on feedlots (now, his cows never see a feedlot, they just get put in a separate pen with a nearly all-grain diet for the last 60 days) see HERE. I may be able to hold off on this first grain-finished cow and wait for an all-grass-fed one for the same price. Do you guys have an opinion on that? (I think both are heads and shoulders above anything I can get at the store, and I admit the grain finished is easier to cook to tender, so I can go either way.) Email me or comment here with your thoughts. We can do both if you want.
BUTTER!!!!!!! I am getting the bulk butter on Monday so I can cut it up and have it ready for our next buying club day. Over 100 pounds of it. I think that qualifies us for a personal visit from Julia Child's ghost! Yay!
If you ordered butter and live on this side of town chances are good I'll bring it by next week to clear out my fridge and freezer.


Julia Child, lol. She loved her buttah, God bless her.
ReplyDelete