Saturday, July 20, 2013



The club fee is changing from $2 to $4.  I needed to either make this club zero out for me so that there is no tax reporting to do (any markups would go into buying bags, ice, gas, food, or returned to you, not as discounts for me) or build in a profit and report it.  The group simply isn't working at our current number of members, so we'll be adding people to the list.  Which is going to be more difficult and I realized I only wanted to do that with the second option.

Adding new participants means we're crossing over from that group of friends who I trust completely to a wider group that I can't be as free with, which will necessitate a few changes.

The biggest changes will be the $4 instead of $2, and a fixed percentage markup from wholesale on things from Albert's, (unless you order a whole case of something,) and most likely immediate payment at pickup.  (I once let in someone I didn't know personally and didn't get paid - I don't think they were bad people, it was just too easy for someone who may have been short on funds to neglect this particular bill until I got tired of asking for it.)  You probably won't even notice a price increase - I used to pad things about the same amount, but now it's automated at a fixed percentage.

The immediate payment part will probably be the hardest for everyone.  I've looked into running credit cards, but haven't gotten far on that one.

I'll explain more details in a different post so that  we can get right to preordering stuff today.

*********************************************************

We will have a pickup on Monday July 29th.  In order to have meats at that pickup, we have to order them this weekend.  So put in your orders on the order form this weekend, by Monday noon.  NEXT weekend we will add produce to the order.

We've already put in our order for the White Oaks ground beef.  Can't take any further orders for ground beef:
Kathy 8
Tonya 10
Gretchen 2
Laura C 4
Summer 20
Laura D 2
Laura-Lan 8
Beth 16

Michele 2

Albert's has just started carrying Purity Farms Ghee: 7.5 oz jar.  It's $11.95 (free shipping) on amazon, $5.69 (plus shipping) on vitacost. $5.25 for us.  

We usually get the cream cheese in the silver blocks, but this order is for the red-and-white tubs.  Same price.




Garrett County Farms turkey jerky sticks.  Our packaging looks different, they use this packaging for Whole Foods.  Not organic.  "4.87 oz packages. Dried product, does not require refrigeration. *Made from turkey raised humanely on a vegetarian diet free of antibiotics, our original recipe sticks are a real treat for the taste buds! A nutritious, gluten-free snack that is easy to eat whether driving in the car, sitting at your desk, or hanging with friends around the lunch table at school. Made with few ingredients, and always free of nitrates and nitrites. Named after the owner's son, Tom! "








NO Bacon: they no longer offer the 12 oz Garrett County package we used to get, only the 18 oz now.  I'm pretty sure this is the exact same brand they sell at TJ's, at a better price.  The best deal on bacon is the brand that takes 3 weeks to order, so I'm leaving the bacon off this time.

Grateful Harvest stew beef: A few of us weren't crazy about the stew beef from White Oaks, but we used to love the stuff we got from Grateful Harvest.  So that's on this week.  Organic, grassfed.




  We've never gotten this half and half before, just the heavy cream.  But NATURAL BY NATURE is grassfed, organic, and low temp pasteurized.  Nearly impossible to find 1/2 and 1/2 that's not Ultra-pasteurized.   (personally I'll get conventional that's not ultra pasteurized before I'll get organic that is.)  Going to try this for ice cream.  And coffee, of course.




Chicken: Trader Joe's has really good prices on organic chicken, and I'm pretty sure it's Coleman brand they sell.  At a better price than we can get it.  So for the buying club I'm always going to list EBERLY brand chicken, which is organic but also truly free range.  Not just the barn-with-little-access-door free range, but outside in sunshine free range (they are also grain fed, but as organic birds, they are non GMO grains.)   This week boneless skinless breasts, but let me know if there are other cuts you want. (note- this is already so expensive that I'm not adding the standardized markup to this, so there's no case discount)



SEVEN STARS FARM whole fat organic yogurt.  They have vanilla, plain, and maple available.  I really didn't know which to put on so I went with plain this time.  And I haven't bought non greek yogurts since my kids were tiny, so I don't even know if this is a better price than at the store. (anyone?)  This is non-homogonized.  The cows are pasture-raised and fed their own "home-grown" organic feed, and seasonally grassfed.  






My family is literally standing around me tapping their feet waiting for me to wrap this up so we can head to the beach.  So I'm leaving the form in its primitive state, where it won't add up your total for you.  I'll fix that later.

1. Get your orders in my 10 AM on Monday morning, and everything will arrive on July 29th.
2. We will add eggs, produce, and Camille's stuff NEXT weekend for it all to arrive on the same day, the 29th.  For now, we're only entering pre-orders in rows 1-19.
3. Case discounts are 10%.  If you and a friend want to split a case to get the discount, that's great.  See what I'm doing there?  The markup is really for the work of sorting.  If I don't have to sort, if you guys take cases and sort amongst yourselves, I'm happy with that!  Just put "case" where you'd usually put a number and I'll enter the price manually on the form.
4. Think about people who might like to join us.  We're going to need more people to make up for the members we've lost in order to continue to be able to order produce cases.  You can even invite them to join us today, if you walk them through the process, which I know can be totally confusing.  Take it easy on me, though.  I can't handle a gazillion new people at once.  The idea of lots of newbies all at once scares me.  So let's make it just one new person per current member for now.  People with Juicers are the BEST ;)
  

Lastly, it's Saturday, and Fresh Market has Kerrygold butter on sale for $2 per 8oz every Saturday in July.  It's usually over $4 at Publix and Ward's, $2.99 at Trader Joe's, $2.69 at Target.  This is the best price I think I've ever seen on it, a much better price than any of the grassfed butters that we can get through Albert's.  Though it is not certified organic, Kerrygold is grassfed, the unsalted is cultured.







I'm off to the beach, I'll get emails tonight or tomorrow.  So go order now: 




No comments:

Post a Comment