Friday, January 20, 2012

Ye Olde Food Wench



THERE WILL BE NO BUYING CLUB NEXT WEEK.  We'd normally have an order going form going up on the 27th, and an order coming in on the 30th, but we'll skip those.  Our next order after this one will be February 6th.  The week we're skipping is a milk delivery week, so I'll get with you guys who normally order milk so we don't miss our next milk delivery on Wednesday February 1st.  That weekend also happens to be the first weekend of the Hoggetown Medieval Faire.  Big Deal in our house.  It's actually other obligations that are having me take the break, but it will be nice to fully focus on the kids and their medieval obsessions, too.  See y'all there!


Eh, the cold weather in Florida AND California has the price list looking pretty thin right now, anyway.  In fact, I'm wondering if we should go to every other week until spring hits some part of the country!  The price list is really unexciting today.  Strawberries STILL over $7.


PREORDERS - the only preorders we have coming in are tenderloins, breasts, and yogurt.  God willing, yogurt.
Beth: 2 fage, 3 tenderloins, 
Laura C: 5 breasts
Ruth: 2 breasts, 
Naomi: 2 breasts, 1 fage, 2 tenderloins
Laura D: 2 chicken breasts, 
Kathy: 2 breasts, 1 fage, 2 tenderloins, 1 raw cheddar, 1 swiss, 2 raw colby
Jen B: 2 breasts, 
Norman: 1 beef tongue
Tonya: 1 fage, 1 raw cheddar
Michele: 1 fage
Jen: 2 tenderloins
Ingrid: 1 tenderloin


EXTRAS:
TEN chicken tenderloins extra! That's a whole case - not sure how I did that, but I think more than one person got fewer than they ordered last week, so I ordered up this week in case anyone needed to add a few more.  I also suspected we'd be taking the week off, so this will allow you to stock up til our next delivery.


There may be THREE extra packages of chicken breasts.  I had ordered BONE-IN breasts (case of 15) accidentally, and I sent them back, thinking most of you wouldn't want those.  I reordered boneless (case of 18), and they're due in this week.  They're a little more than I thought (I was looking at the bone-in price, which is the same as the tenderloins price, 4.95/lb).  I'm keeping it at the price I originally told you, because it'd be wrong not to, but if we order these again the price is 5.45/lb.  Each breast package is estimated to be about 1.5 pounds, so at 4.95/lb each package should come in at $7.45 or so.


Cut n clean greens - the price went up!  But they're so darned convenient, and the loose greens aren't looking like a good price this week, so I put them on the list anyway.


Fresh market still beats our co-op price on organic apples.  Their bag is 3.98, ours (pink ladies, they're actually cheapest on the list) this week is 5.35.  


MEAT:
1. Eberley chicken thighs and wings.  Eberley is the top of the line for poultry - it's pastured, farmed by small Amish farms, and organic.  The price is per pound, and each package could be between 1 and 1.5 lbs each.  Bone in, skin on. It's a preorder, so neither will come in until our next delivery Feb 6th.  Thighs are so easy, just roast.  These are whole wings, meaning the little drummette and wing are still together, like this:






2. I also have PLENTY OF GROUND BEEF available (still trying to clear out the freeze for our next big beef delivery) 
3. I have THREE CHUCK ROASTS - one fairly large, two on the small side.  
Order ground beef or chuck roasts up top.
4. Plainville farms dark meat ground turkey.  We got this once before.  1 lb packages.
5. Aaaaand, plainville farms whole turkey breasts.  They're huge.  Like 3 pounds EACH BREAST.  Our last two cases were larger, more like 4 lbs each.  And they come naked, so I have to repackage them into a plastic bag.  At 6.20/lb, each one comes to around $21.  It's like a big roast.  I slice mine using a meat slicer, others have been just roasting it. 
6. Applegate farms bacon.  This is the 2.5 lb pack.  Another preorder.


ALL OF THE poultry and bacon listed above is a preorder, won't come in until our Feb 6th delivery.  The ground beef and beef roasts are in my freezer and available now.


EGGS - it's going to be a very light egg week.  No eggs from Alan Hagan this week, so I'm expecting fewer than 20 dozen (you guyts usually order over twice that number).  Those of you getting milk from me next week can order eggs at the same time, because Alan will be delivering on our off week.  


BULK BUTTER - who's ready for more bulk butter?  For you new folks, this is Natural By Nature brand, grassfed, organic, low temp pasteurized.  It comes in a big 50 pound block that I have to cut into smaller bits and bag up.  If we get enough interest to order a block, it would come in on our off week so I could get it cut and bagged for the following week. If you live nearby I will probably deliver it, it's hard to store it all here for long. 
The price went up over $60 per block since the last time we ordered.  Yikes.  The price per pound will come to $6.15.  The price is creeping up toward what we pay for the wrapped pastured butter bars (about 7.50/lb).  Will the price come back down in summer, or is this a permanent change?  I don't know, but this is the first time I've seen the price change in the two years we've been ordering it - it's never gone up or down seasonally.


That bacon, huh?  What did you guys think of that Garrett county bacon?  Houston calls it "steakun", it's so thick.  It tastes good, but I'm conflicted over the number of slices in a package.


Local beef: he was definitely not happy with making such a small delivery of beef this past week.  We're going to have to save up and order big before he'll come out here again.  Like, in 30 pound "shares" or something.  If I had a larger freezer I'd just make a big purchase and sell it over time, but I can't store enough here.  So our next beef buy may have a "strongly suggested minimum" on it so that we can order enough to make his trip here worthwhile.  Anyway, beef purchases may have to be larger and further apart to save his travel time.  Next one will probably be late February.


Plenty of heads up time:  We will also skip the Feb 20th delivery.  We hope to be off at Mardi Gras.


The order form is ready.  HERE.

2 comments:

  1. The garret bacon was too thick for my grandmother to chew. Are the thinner slices available?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved the bacon even if it was one slice per customer.

    ReplyDelete