CITIZEN'S CO-OP has a date for grand opening
According to their facebook page, "Passed our final building inspections today!! We'll be open for business on Tuesday, July 12th. Grand opening celebration at the Co-op all day on July 15th!! Come on down and start buying local and delicious foods."
No delivery next TWO weeks
No delivery on July 4th, nor the following week, July 11th. My sincere apologies to those whose chickens will keep producing eggs! Use the buying club email list to meet up somewhere and sell those things! Remember to go check out the new co-op on the 12th and tell me about it. We won't be out of town the whole time, but back and forth various places. So as far as I know, our next delivery will be July 18th.
MILK
A lot of interest in the milk. Even more interest in switching to Wednesdays, but Albert's said they can't switch days (I was fine with Monday til I thought about the possibility of Wednesday!) And the chest freezer for storage idea is good, but if the milk is delivered on Wednesdays I wouldn't want it to stay here until Monday (and I don't HAVE another freezer, but will almost certainly consider the next fridge or freezer that needs a home). But I don't want to give up, as the prices are good, so I may keep working on this. Most people who replied live within a reasonable distance, so delivery to your home on this side of town is not entirely out of the question, but I'd have to experiment with how much gas and time that is (only doable if I could add to the price of the milk enough to WANT to deliver it, while still keeping it well below store prices)
I don't have a lot of info on Wainright Dairy, by the way. They say "Milk as God Intended", and it's non-homogonized, and low-temp pasteurized, grassfed (though not necessarily, and I predict probably not exclusively) and they offer raw. They offer both raw and pasteurized cheese (I'm not a fan of the cheese.) And man, it's affordable buying it this way. They're in Live Oak (maybe I can do a field trip on our way to Pensacola) and that's the extent of my knowledge.
PREORDERS
NaomiS: 3 tenderloins, 1 fage, 1 cottage cheese, 1 cream
JenB: 2 lb hamburger patties, 3 butter
Karen: 1 lb hamburger patties
Cathy: 2 chicken tenderloins
Ashley: 3 hamburger patties
Beth: 2lb patties, 1 butter
Kathy: 4 lb patties, 2 tenderloins, 1 fage
Talia: 3 tenderloins, 4 cottage cheese, 1 cream
LauraLan: 4 butter
Helen: 2 cream
Tonya: 2 fage
CAmille: 1 cream
Heddy: 1 lb patties, 1 fage
Laura C: 4 lb patties, 4 cottage cheese
Brenda: 3lb patties, 4 butter, 4 cream
I noticed the price of ov pastured butter at Ward's is 4.25, a full $1 more per 8 oz than what we're getting. I may order another case before summer is over - they only make it in the summer months, though they freeze it for sale all year.
EXTRAS: 1 fage, 3 cream, 3 cottage cheese
Email to claim these extras
A CREAM PROJECT:
So, creme fraiche is apparently incredibly easy. Pour a pint of cream into a pint jar (you won't be able to fit it all in - leave just enough in the carton for a couple of cups of coffee or something). Then wisk in 1 Tbs of cultured sour cream (not the fake sour cream that has no cultures, but make sure it's cultured.) Leave on the counter for 2 days, then transfer to fridge. I thought I was making sour cream, but it doesn't taste like sour cream at all. It just tastes like solidified cream. More for topping fruit turnovers or dipping fruit into (which is what we did) than for tacos. But culturing the cream preserves it, so if you have some heavy cream that hasn't been used yet, give this a try - it was crazy easy. I used Nancy's sour cream, which is very thick, and my creme fraiche is very, very thick. Almost like a soft cream cheese. The OV sour cream we get would work, too.
PRODUCE
*After much experimentation with berries from California and those from Florida, I have come to the guilt-inducing conclusion that those from California are nearly always way better. So that will be guiding my future berry choices, just so you know. Uncle Matt's sour Florida blackberries were the final data point I needed.*
With romas on special and onions on the list, I've added cilantro again so we have most everything for this FERMENTED SALSA recipe. I've been making quite a few fermented and cultured things lately, and it's all really easy.
Camille's "turkish eggplants" - they're orange instead of purple, and about the size of a softball, but you use them like any other eggplant.
NONPRODUCE
You guys probably got all you wanted, but Applegate farms grassfed hot dogs are still on special, so they're still on the list.
Dairy - the raw wisconsin jack was preordered, so it's coming in. I don't have a record of who originally ordered it (I thought it was dropped from the order, not moved to another week). So if you want it, just order it anew.
Tribe hummus. Yeah, I put it under "dairy". And it's a preorder. So if you order this it won't get here until our next delivery on July 18. I ordered 8 pounds a while back just for us and it stayed fresh until we finished it all this week (I got it just before school let out.)
The beagle bay sauerkraut and the Noble lemonade aren't on special - I put them in bold because they're not one of our usuals down in the "misc" section, and I didn't want you to miss them.
Don't forget that this is our last delivery until the 18th of July!
And I'll see you guys Monday.
Go ORDER NOW.

No comments:
Post a Comment