Thursday, September 23, 2010

This week's order - Sept 24

Friday, you're here again already?!

I still have things from last week I haven't eaten. Of course, I can't GET to it, with 55 pounds of butter in my fridge!

Thanksgiving Turkeys and Ham - we have to order early
We have to have these Thanksgiving goodies ordered by October 1st (really October 8th, but we won't be doing an order that weekend, I'll be in the deepest darkest parts of Mississippi.)
These turkeys all come from Grateful Harvest. Four sizes are available. 8-12 pounds, 12-16 pounds, 16-20 pounds, 20-24 pounds.
Then you have the choice between "organic" and "natural". Natural is of course less expensive. (natural means no antibiotics, also free range, but not organic feed)
Organic is $4.25 per pound (locally raised ones, which you ain't gettin' unless you got on the waiting list back in the spring, are going for $4/lb, so this seems reasonable)
Natural is $2.75 per pound
The smaller ones come in a case of 4, the larger two come in a case of 2. So we don't have to order, like, a dozen to get a case.

The Hams are from Garrett County. They are "100% free of nitrates, nitrites, antibiotics, hormones, preservatives and artificial ingredients." Natural Spiral Cut Hams - Foil Wrapped with Netting.
They average 7.5 pounds, $5.70 per pound (so $42.75 per ham). Four to a case.
Ingredients: pork, water, seasonings (unrefined sugar, sea salt, dried honey, spice extractives)
Coated with raw sugar, honey, gelatin, barley malt, molasses, guar gum, spice.

I'll have these on the order form NEXT week (just wanted to give you a heads up that they will be available), will put in the order on Oct 1st, and they will arrive closer to Thanksgiving.

I have no idea how these prices compare to what you can order through Ward's.

The NUTS
I'd like to go ahead and order these when I or. These are the orders I have so far:
Brenda 10 pounds Walnuts 10 pounds Almonds
Laura-Lan 5 pounds Walnuts 5 pounds Almonds
Beth 5 pounds Walnuts 10 pounds Almonds
Laura C 20 pounds Walnuts 20 pounds Almonds
Kathy 3 pounds Walnuts 3 pounds Almonds
Ruth 5 pounds Walnuts 5 pounds Almonds

That leaves 7 pounds of almonds available (8.25 per pound), and 2 pounds of walnuts ($5 per pound). These aren't on the order form, so you'll have to email me or comment here to order these nuts. The almonds are organic, raw, and unpasteurized. The raw walnuts do not have organic certification, but are grown on the same land (a farm in California).

Two housekeeping items:
1. I'm trying to do this paperless and keep it all online (partly because trying to read a printout of that order form is making my eyes go cross). So you guys don't get a printed "receipt" or anything. I've thought about different ways to provide one, but there's not really a smart easy way. So just know that I try my best to work from the online order form, update it with extras, and make it accurate. And then I keep the order form up for the whole week following pickup. That way, if you feel like something's missing, or I made a mistake, or charged you for something that didn't come in, or you just otherwise need to check things over, there's a record there that will be available at least for a few days after pickup. While you're here, I have the order form up on my screen, and you are welcomed to take a close look at it before you leave. Since it's the only record of what you're supposed to be getting, I want it to be available to you, so be aware that it's there, online, at least until Thursday following pickup.
2. Preorders - they're still kind of confusing, I know, and everyone's been so flexible about it. Each week I'm going to put here who has dibs on the preordered or backordered items that are due to arrive with this delivery. Then you can add it to your column.

PICKUP TIME
If it doesn't matter to you, just wait until the 2:30 time to come pick anything up. I keep thinking the truck is "on time" if it gets here at 10, but it's been "late" every week, so I guess I need to change my idea of what's "on time". I'm not going to tell you to go away if you get here in the morning, and I know morning just works better for a few of you, but if the bulk of people arrive after 2:30, things are much better organized.

Preorders/backorders arriving this week
Lavash: 3 Brenda, 2 Karen, 2 Naomi W, 1 Laura C, 4 extra
Goat milk: 1 Helen, 1 Camille, 1 Tonya
Cream: 1 Naomi W, 2 Jen B, 2 Camille, 1 Naomi S, 6 extra
Fage: 2 Beth, 2 Naomi S, 1 Brenda, 7 extra
because our Fage did not arrive last week, I got two this week. Which is why we have SEVEN extra!
Milk: 1 Naomi W, 1 Laura-Lan
Sour Cream (the natural by nature was taking forever, so I ordered Organic Valley instead, which will be here this week): It's been so long since we ordered, I've cleared the orders. So just be sure to "Re" order sour cream. I added another case, so there should be plenty.


Okay, on to this week's order!

Butter! The butter is here and cut and wrapped in 1-3 pound blocks! I preordered it two weeks ago, it arrived last week, which gave me time to cut and weigh it carefully during the week rather than trying to rush to get it done before a pickup. I thought I was being smart, but wow, 55 pounds of butter really takes up a lot of fridge room! It'll be on the form with the dairy items, just order what you want. This is the Natural by Nature grassfed organic low-temp pasteurized stuff. And this batch does taste salted. I weighed them precisely to make filling orders easier (so they wouldn't all be different weights and therefore different prices), so please excuse the little slivers that might make up part of your block, as that was me trying to get the weight just exactly right. $4.45 per pound (grassfed OV butter at the store is more than that for HALF a pound - new people, this is one of our best buying club deals.)

This week's specials are interesting: broccoli, pineapple, cauliflower, and salad spring mix.

Yikes! No more cripps pink apples!! And the honeycrisp went up in price. So we're going to try the galas this week.

Ricotta and cottage cheese have been added. Someone else price checked these at Ward's. Whole milk organic ricotta there is $6.25 for 15 oz. Whole milk cottage cheese is 5.25 for 15 oz. They are exactly $1 less each through Albert's. The ricotta is "Natural by Nature" brand, which seems to take a long time sometimes. It won't come in until next week.

Also I added salami. Both conventional and organic were put on there - I never know how important that line between organic and non-organic but better-than-conventional is. Also there's some apple cider in the misc section that's new.

And as long as I was adding stuff to the dairy section, I threw feta cheese up there. What the heck.

The Murray's whole chickens are still on sale for 2.50 per pound. We got interest in only 5 of the case of 10 last week, so we did not order. If you're interested, you'll have to re-order this week, and we'll see if we can get up to 10. This is the last week it's on sale.

Not too late to request something!

Here's the ORDER FORM.

3 comments:

  1. How long do almonds and walnuts last before they start to spoil? I would like some of both, but am not sure how much to order because of that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question, Ruth. I found a good answer on the blog of another buying club: http://www.localforage.com/local_forage/2008/06/almond-and-wa-1.html

    Sounds like refrigerated, 3 months, and a year in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bren- I'd like 5 pounds walnuts, 5 pounds almonds, if still available. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete