Friday, May 17, 2013

Friday 5/17



THERE WILL BE NO BUYING CLUB NEXT MONDAY,  Memorial Day.

We'll meet again on June 3rd, so any preorders you make today will arrive then, on June 3.


Whose bacon did I delete?  Last week we pre-ordered the American Homestead bacon, and I think I accidentally deleted someone's order of 2 of them.  Right now I have Gretchen, Amanda, Tory, and Laura D as having ordered some.  Who else ordered it that I don't have listed here? 

We also pre-ordered some White Oaks ground beef.  Two cases are taken, and I ordered a 3rd to be on the safe side.  If you want some but missed out on pre-ordering, email me.

WE HAVE NO PREORDERS coming in this week.  We didn't get enough orders last week to get anything.  This means that no one has anything already coming in, and it also means it will be more difficult for us to meet the minimum with just produce (the meat usually goes a long way toward meeting that minimum).  But I feel confident we can do it.

I'm experimenting with leaving everyone's name on the order form so that you have your own permanent column.  So most of you will already have a column on there.  If you don't see your column, just go to the end and add one.

Camille's goat milk: They have a glut!  So the milk has been lowered to $3 per quart, $1 of that being a deposit for the jar.  (I'm not one to like goat-milk anything.  But there is zero goat taste to this milk.)

If you make peach jam or can them or put them in the freezer, this might be the week to do so.  The last two weeks the ones we've ordered have been really good, and this week they are on special.  

Same with the Roma Tomatoes.  Really good price at 1.52/lb (anything $2 or under is good).  They'll be plentiful and cheap later this summer from local farmers, but this is a great price if you want to get started early.


Dippin' doubles.  I'm running out of steam on the lunch-box packing (11 more days of lunches to go til summer!)  I'm getting these even if no one else does.  For $3.15 you get a double pack like the one shown here.  Heck, get it for the ride home from pickup.  The ingredients list for the peanut butter reads only "organic peanuts".  


CHERRIES!  They've come down in price since last week when they were $11/bag.  These are $9/bag, which makes them $6.83 per pound.  I saw conventional ones at Fresh market for $10/lb (not that fresh market is the best place to compare prices...)  Last year I ended up with some extras so I pitted them and froze them.  It worked great for pies.


Charantais melon.  It's like a cantaloupe, but an heirloom french variety that, when I googled to see what it was, people were downright poetic about.  I also have traditional cantaloupe on the list.  Both are on special this week. (I weighed the average looking conventional 'loupe I got from Ward's this morning and it's almost exactly 3lbs, just to give you an idea of relative sizes.  Ours will be 2# or a little smaller for the charantais.)


Noble lemonade.  I'm getting a case of this to put in the freezer so I can grab a few bottles on the way to the pool or the tennis courts or whatever this summer.  It's 12 oz bottles of Noble organic lemonade.  (they also have organic orange juice, organic apple juice and some nonorganic juices in this size, too, if you also want to look into getting a case of anything besides lemonade.)

Man, it's totally FRUIT WEEK at the buying club!  

Natural by nature whipped cream.  It's organic and grassfed.  With so much fruit on the list, this seemed right.  I like the brown sugar one, so that's what's on the list.

Eberly combo pack.  This is a box of 12 packages.  4 packages of split breasts, 4 packages of thighs, 4 packages of drumsticks.  Each package weighs between 1 and 1.5 pounds.  The price is $6.15 per pound, so the weight of the case will determine the price of the combo pack.  Eberly is organic and pastured.

Order before you get distracted by this gorgeous weather!  Before noon tomorrow, y'all, the earlier the better, really (I'll be headed out of town about noon tomorrow, so any questions that come after that I won't see until later that night or on Sunday)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnRnG5MU84qLdDJ0TEc2WDJXdFlNTk5XVUdHZGRiS2c#gid=0










No comments:

Post a Comment