Friday, November 30, 2012

Friday 11/30

Milk/cheese totals from last delivery to be added to this week's total:
Beth: 1.05# @ $7
Kathy L: 1.14# @ $6
              2.64# @ $7
             2 choc milks $3.00 total
Alex: 2.29# @ $6
Naomi: 2 bottle credits
Amanda: 1.10# @ $6
Laura D: 1 choc milk $1.50
Betty: 1 choc milk $1.50
Laura C: 2.39# @ $6
Talia: 8 bottles credit
        .54# @ $6
        .54# @ $7
Tamara 3 bottles credit
           2.38# @ $6
Michele .58 @ $6
Carol .1.09# @ $6

Preorders:
Ruth: 12 tenderloins, 1 sour cream, 2 cases fage cups, 4 thighs
Laura D: 1 tenderloin
Alex: 3 tenderloins
Amanda: 1 sour cream, 1 ham
Beth: 1 sour cream, 4 tenderloins, case beef hearts
Naomi: 1 sour cream
Summer: 5 thighs
Kathy L: 6 thighs
Kathy G: 1 tenderloin
Carol: 2 tenderloins, 1 thigh
Jen: 1 tenderloins
Ingrid: 2 hams
Jocelyn: 1 sour cream
Laura C: 2 ham nuggets
Brenda: 1 sour cream, 1 ham, 1 thigh, jalapeno sauerkraut case

3 thighs available (bone in, skin on, Eberly free range organic)

This week's offerings:
CITRUS SAMPLER: I put three different types of oranges on.  Is that silly?  But I juice oranges all winter, and I like having a mix of them around.  (Have loved having this thing by the way.)
1.The "sunburst tangerines" are the same ones we got in 5-pound boxes last time.  Now they're offering them in a big case that I'll have to portion out anyway, so you don't have to buy a full 5 pounds.  I have 2.5 pound shares listed, so it's half the usual size.  I didn't find them all that easy to peel, though they are peeling types.  I've been mostly juicing them.
2. Satsumas: These are available locally now, (and my MIL's tree was loaded - why didn't I bring some back??)  so I wasn't sure if I should put them on here.  But the picture is so pretty, and satsumas really do have those easy mandarin type peels, and they're so goood.
The picture to the right is actually from the farm that we'll be getting ours from.
3. Hamlin oranges: these are also coming in locally now.  Hamlins are juice oranges.  One could eat them out of hand, but this is THE local type for those who juice oranges (along with parson browns).  The color of the juice is light, and the taste mild, so I always mix in a few tangerines.  (If I can get them locally instead, for the same price or better, I will.)

I know ordering through here is just easier for some people, but here's some news on getting citrus locally:  The citrus people (Henderson & daughter) are making their first appearance at the 441 farmer's market this Saturday, and I also hear that the Citrus Barn will be selling citrus at Wild Birds Unlimited (next to Fresh Market) this Saturday, and they'll have PAGE ORANGES!! which may have bumped honeybells from my top spot of favorites. (they are a honeybell/clementine cross, and if you like those cuties you get at the stores from CA and  Spain, these would be the local version of those.) I will be making a special trip just for page oranges.  Ingrid, if you have more information on that, I'll be  happy to send it out to everyone.

Cut n clean greens: they aren't on the list any more.  It was implied that I COULD get them, as a preorder item, but basically they aren't really available any more (produce preorders are a pain.) Fresh market carries cut n clean now, and at a better price, even, but so far only the rainbow kale variety.

Camille has a few heads of romaine, 3 bok choi, and some arugula in the local produce section.

The emerald valley salsa was unavailable for a while, but now it's back.

White Oak grassfed beef: when this first appeared on the list, it was stupid expensive.  More expensive than getting it at Publix.  The prices came down.  This is a grassfed operation in Georgia.  I want to experiment with getting their stuff (which is just a little more than the local stuff we get now, but may be more conveniently packaged and more consistent quality), and I'll start with the beef patties.  It's listed as a 14 oz package, so maybe there are 3 patties in each one?  4? Dunno.  THIS is what they sell on their web site.  Both the web site (which requires a shipping cost) and publix sell their beef for about $7.50/lb.  This is listed as a 14 oz package for $6.25.  The other products (roasts, steaks, ground) look to be in the $6 range, too.


Smoked Salmon: down in the preorder section, you'll see spence & co smoked wild sockeye (pacific) salmon.  HERE is some info on it.  This is the thin slices/sheets you see in the refrigerated section, good with cream cheese.  They used to offer only "atlantic" salmon, but I noticed that they now have wild sockeye as an option.  I saw this at fresh market, I think in the $8 range.

If you're on Facebook, you might want to like the "Alachua County Farmer's Market" page.  Even if you never make it over there, you get news on what's in season and food stuff going on elsewhere in town.



ALL DONE.  GO ORDER NOW!  TRY TO GET YOUR ORDER IN BEFORE NOON ON SATURDAY, BUT IF YOU MISS IT, JUST EMAIL ME.  WE CAN USUALLY FIT YOU IN. 

No comments:

Post a Comment