Friday, March 25, 2011

Happy Friday Again...

PREORDERS
Naomi S: 1 milk, 3 chicken tenderloins, 1 fage,
Laura-Lan: 1 milk
Rhea: 4 turkey bacon, 6 nuggets, 2 chicken tenderloins
Ruth: 10 tenderloins
Karen: 1 sour cream, 3 tenderloin
Naomi W: 1 salsa, 1 sour cream, 1 cottage cheese
Karen: 3 tenderloins
Steph: 1 salsa, 3 cottage cheese, 1 nuggets
Beth: 3 turkey bacon, 1 sour cream, 2 cottage cheese, 1 salsa, 6 tenderloins, 2 fage
Laura C: 4 turkey bacon
Kathy: 1 turkey bacon, 5 tenderloins, 1 fage
Brenda: 5 nuggets, 2 sour cream, 3 salsa, 2 fage

EXTRAS: 1 sour cream, 1 package tenderloins, (there weren't nearly enough orders to get a case of heavy cream this week)

Order by 12:00 Saturdays. I want everyone to be able to change your order if you go to the farmer's markets on Saturdays, which should take priority over buying club. Because it's local and usually cheaper. So if you want lettuce one week, put it on the form, but then if you find it at the market, you can come take it off the form before noon Saturday. I just don't your Friday order to keep you from going to the farmer's markets. If you miss that Saturday noon cutoff, just email me. There are likely things left for you to take.

The strawberries last week were not so good. I'm so sorry. Those happen to be on special this week for pretty cheap, but now we know why! The other option is Driscoll's from California, nearly $5 each. Perhaps this week we're better off looking locally. If anyone finds really good (pesticide free) strawberries, let us know! (Know what's really sad? My own home-grown strawberries taste really awful! What gives???!)

This was kind of a weird week. The list seemed shorter, and not much seemed to be a really good buy aside from the cherry tomatoes (which I've noticed have been $5-$6 at stores - yikes).

BUTTER
A couple of people have said it's time to order butter again. Their price went up a little, and I also added a little more padding to the price because my cutter broke, so I'll need a new one, and I'll also need to buy some plastic wrap or baggies for packaging it. So it's $5/lb this time. For those of you who haven't been around for a butter order, this is "Natural by Nature" brand. It's grassfed, low temp pasteurized, and organic. Salted. It's such a good price because it comes in a big solid 50 pound block the size of a microwave oven. And it has to carved up and weighed into shares. It's totally freezeable, and we don't order super often, so order enough to last you a few months. Since I have to carve it up, it's often in large blocks that you may want to cut into smaller portions when you get home. And to get the weight correct sometimes I have to put smaller pieces together. So it's not nice little foil-wrapped precisely-one-pound blocks. But it's good grassfed butter. If you DO want nice foil-wrapped grassfed butter for the convenience, we can get that, too. They have Organic Valley pastured cultured butter for $7 per pound, and I can order that for you at any time, just ask (it comes in 12 8-oz packages). Also know that Kerrygold brand from Ireland is grassfed (and while it's not "organic", they don't use pesticides on their farms). We can't get it through the buying club, but it's usually around $7 per pound at Publix, maybe a little more.

Order your butter: I've put a line for the butter up top, with the eggs. It won't add any money to your order this time, since I'm mostly just seeing if we have 50 pounds worth of interest. If we do, I'll order it and is should be here around mid-April.

MEAT
Any requests? I have those top sirloin steaks on there that we used to get that were SOOOO good. This is the organic and 100% grassfed brand. (the not organic and not-totally-grassfed was the same price). Each steak is individually vacuum packed, which is nice. I admit it's not the most frugal stuff, but I know my kids will eat every bite, as opposed to the cheaper things I've been getting and slaving over that they pick at.

And then I have the organic and uncured sliced ham. I don't know how much this runs in stores, so someone tell me if it's a good deal or not!

This week feels kind of slim. But we have a lot of preorders coming (which is why you won't see sour cream or cottage cheese or salsa on the form - the stuff we ordered last week that was out of stock arrives this week.) But there it is, and it's ready. I'd love to know what meat I should put on the form. Chicken drumsticks? If so, Eberley's pastured organic, or Murray's? You like the lunchmeats? I'm just not wanting to cook big cuts of meat as it gets warmer. Stew beef? Grillable cuts? What would that be?

Anyhow, the form is up, so go ORDER!

A bunch of Hooligans. The stuffed panda is still on the roof...

No comments:

Post a Comment