Friday, July 22, 2011

I couldn't stay away.

We have no preorders (we didn't get enough orders last week for them).

But don't forget to put IN and order for next week, August 1st. (some of you DO have chicken tenderloins coming in already on August 1st)

Norman's out of town, so his bread will not be available this week.
Camille's in town this week, though, so there's plenty of eggs and chevre.

Produce:
I'm trying to think of things we DO tend to order even when our group is small.

The broccoli is a crazy good price.

The garlic is something we've gotten before. It's a huge bag of pre-peeled garlic, and I dole it out into 1 pound portions. I pickled mine (it is SO good, it tastes exactly like the "mustard dill" pickled garlic from the Medieval Faire. My recipe is at the bottom of this post) I also "pickled" some of it by putting it in a jar and pouring soy sauce over it (something called "black garlic" or "korean garlic"). It both preserves the garlic and flavors the soy sauce. I then use that garlic in cooking, and the soy sauce tastes amazing. And HERE is an insanely helpful page on different ways to preserve garlic and their health benefits. I use my pickled garlic in cooking just as I would fresh, by the way. And we also eat it right out of the jar, or slice it on salads, as it's no longer pungent.

Cucumbers: we actually got plenty of order for cucumbers last week, but they didn't make it to the warehouse in time. So here they are again. Most pickle recipes call for 4 pounds, if you're pickling. (these aren't listed as "pickling" cucumbers, just regular cukes, but we can still pickle them, right?)

apples: I don't know where they're getting them, but Ward's has pink lady organic apples (loose, not in a bag) for 1.49/lb. That's like paying 4.50 for our 3# bags. They're $6 a bag through Albert's right now. So get thee to Ward's for some pink ladies.

Cherries: they aren't on special, but at 5.23 a pound, they're cheaper than at Publix.

MEAT:
The hamburger patties come in a 1-pound pack of 4 patties. They are a preorder, so if you order today they'll come in on August 1st. Funny, if I make hamburgers I'd rather make my own patties, but we've been eating these on their own, like steaks. It's the same price per pound as the ground beef, but it's ready to throw in a pan.

Pork loin: this is from organic valley. Beth, I was thinking you and I would split the case, but of course anyone else order away if you'd like one. It's a boneless pork roast, right around 1 lb. It doesn't say it's a preorder, but I think it took a couple of weeks to come in last time.

Here you go, the ORDER FORM is ready.


"The Garlic News" Pickled Garlic

2 cups peeled garlic cloves
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
1/5 tsp salt
.5 tsp mustard seed
1 bay leaf
fresh dill
Bring all ingredients except dill to a boil. Cook one minute. Drop in chopped fresh dill. Put in jars, refrigerate. (place whole dill sprigs in to make it pretty)

No comments:

Post a Comment